She strongly recommended we start a petition with handwritten signatures and she would present it to the Minister of Education.
We would like to ask everyone who is interested in a public high school for Stittsville to sign it over the weekend if possible.
We are preparing Lisa MacLeod, MPP to present a question in the Ontario Legislator next week (see below for more information). The petition can be found in the mailbox at the following address:
- 40 Ember Glow Court (Crossing Bridge – off Hobin)
- 24 Helm Circle (Fairwinds)
- 40 Amethyst (Granite Ridge)
- Our local Counsellor Shad Qadri will have a table where you can sign it at the Abbott Street Park (corner of Abbott and Main St.) Sunday June 5th between 12-4 pm
Yesterday we met with Lisa MacLeod, MPP for Nepean-Carleton to seek their advice on ways of influencing Queen’s Park and the Minister of Education to approve a public high school for Stittsville. Lisa and her team successfully campaigned for approval of a public high school in Barrhaven – Longfields-Davidson Heights Secondary School (which opened in 2009).
As you know, the Ottawa-Carleton District School Board has ranked a public high school in Stittsville as our City’s number 1 capital funding priority. But there remains a lot of work still to be done to shift the Minister towards approving this request.
Based on her past experience with Longfields-Davidson Heights Secondary School, Lisa MacLeod strongly recommended we undertake the following actions:
- Organize a community action group (already done)
- Increased community engagement/pressure
- Increase the media coverage e.g., have our issue covered as much as possible – from many different angle
- Start a petition to the Minister of Education
- Leveraging local MPPs to bring our voice to Queen’s Park.
Thank you for your continued support!
Jenny and Jennifer
from the Stittsville Public High School Now Committee